The EAC-School of Pharmacy (SoP) is an institution of higher learning that utilizes student-centered learning environment and pedagogy to foster conceptual understanding, knowledge reproduction, and skills development necessary to produce scientifically and globally-competent Pharmacists.
It provides education for future pharmacist so they may practice in major fields including community pharmacy, hospital pharmacy, and industrial pharmacy. Founded in 1983; the program is offered both in EAC Manila and Cavite campuses.
To be the preferred institution for Pharmacy education in providing a learner-centered academic environment by exemplifying excellence in instruction, research, and community service.
To ensure the development of globally-competitive and socially-responsible pharmacy professionals by adhering to the highest standards of academic excellence through an inclusive, learner-centered environment.
Program Educational Objectives
- Practice pharmacy in a professional and ethical manner
- Provide pharmaceutical care
- Conduct relevant research and disseminate findings
- Apply managerial and entrepreneurial skills
- Communicate and facilitate effectively.
Student Learning Outcomes
- Explain the preparation of drugs into various dosage forms to ensure quality of medicinal and pharmaceutical products
- Demonstrate knowledge of drugs of biological origin, and the pharmacy and chemistry of pharmaceutical products
- Read and interpret prescriptions correctly
- Critically evaluate scientific evidence for research and decision-making
- Practice alternative management and treatment modalities
- Relate biological and physiological concepts to pharmacy (drugs, biotechnology products, and diseases)
- Investigate the harmful and beneficial effects of microorganisms (including antimicrobial resistance and its clinical impact) as well as the helminths and measures to control these parasites
- Demonstrate understanding of immunization process and types of immunobiologicals
- Demonstrate appreciation of the major art forms
- Demonstrate an appreciation of history and cultural heritage
- Demonstrate methods in utilizing instrumentation analyses as required by pharmacopeial standards.
- Provide healthcare information to various clients (patients, healthcare professionals and public)
- Recognize important elements of the patient’s health profile and health promotion
Bachelor of Science in Pharmacy
EAC SoP HISTORY
The School of Pharmacy has been training Filipino Pharmacists since 1983. The founding dean of the school was Emma M. Castaneda PhD (1983-1994) where she nurtured the school to grow in the number of students and in facilities and established EAC SoP as one of the leading Pharmacy schools in the Philippines. During her time, EAC had its first PRC board exam topnotcher in 1991 through Ms. Emma Evangelista, 6th place. The EAC SoP gained significant recognition in interschool competitions during the times of the succeeding deans Eleodora Lorenzo MBA (1995-1996), Gloria Panganiban PhD, Lilian P. de la Merced PhD (1997-1999), Raquel C. Ibatuan (OIC/2000-2001), Fe G. Miroy MSc (2002) and Alexander Galan (OIC).
Dean Miroy, the 6th Dean of EAC SoP, EAC SoP Secretary (1989-1993) and also EAC VP for Administration (1996) strengthened the processes of the laboratories as her main platform. Dean Ileana Cruz MA (2003-2014), helped EAC SoP perform well at the pharmacist national licensure exam. Dean Cruz who is a chemistry expert, started the renovation of the laboratories of the SoP to be highly efficient esp. in Pharmaceutical Chemistry experiments. In 2018, EAC SoP opened a BS Pharmacy program in its Cavite campus. The current deans of EAC SoP are Ms. Vina Rose A. Dahilig MSc (2014-2017 EAC Manila / 2018-present EAC Cavite) and Mr. Romeo C. Ongpoy, Jr. MSc (2018-present EAC Manila). Dean Dahilig initiated reforms for quality education and the construction of vital units of the school like the Pharmacy simulation room, Animal house facility and the Botanical garden, she is also the founding dean of EAC SoP Cavite.
At present, EAC SoP continues to provide Pharmacists not only in the Philippines but to other countries. The graduates work at the community, hospital, industrial and academic settings and also in emerging practices like managed care, clinical research and natural products research. The EAC SoP graduates have been known to be humble, professionally competent and morally upright. It is hoped in the coming years, EAC SoP will be able to produce more qualified graduates contributing to the pharmaceutical work force.